Course 3 of 3: The Early Detection of Autism in Children and Recommendations for Therapy
Therapies for Young Children with Autism
Gain an understanding of the theoretical and practical applications of various therapeutic interventions available to treat children with autism spectrum disorders.
About the course
In this video, Dr. Deborah Fein presents the theoretical underpinnings and practical applications of various therapy options appropriate for young children with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). With expert narration and video footage, the major therapy approaches are presented along with specialized therapy interventions for children with ASDs. Video footage of major therapies, such as Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), allows doctors to view therapies in action. Also included are strategies for talking to parents about the importance of parental involvement in therapy when discussing the treatment of a child with autism.
- Evaluate and recommend early intervention services and therapies when needed and follow up with parents as to the effectiveness of the recommended interventions.
- Understand the importance (and impact) of early intervention for very young children with autism.
- Recognize the methods used to specifically treat the symptoms of autism, such as Applied Behavior Analysis.
- See how therapies such as Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapy, used for a wide variety of disorders, are also used for children with autism.
- Learn the importance of parental involvement in therapy.
- Recognize that early intervention services are most effective when provided at very early ages.
The courses are temporarily unavailable. Please check back shortly.
Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
Professor, Departments of Psychology and Pediatrics University of Connecticut
- Anne-Louise Wissinger
The Hagedorn Little Village School
- Samantha Schupack
Manhattan Children’s Center
- Debi Blitz
Early Intervention Nassau DOH
- Kim Keane, PT
Center for Disability Services
- Louise Tiranoff, PhD
Tiranoff Productions LLC/GeneticaLens
- None of the speakers will be discussing the off-label use of any products. This CME activity has no commercial support associated with it.
- Developmental Pediatricians
- Speech Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- ABA Therapists
- Floortime Therapists
- Family Practice Physicians
Preview a chapter today: Parents Doing Therapy
Disclosure: The activity director, planning committee members, nor the speakers have any financial interest/arrangement or affiliation with any organizations that could be perceived as a real or apparent conflict of interest in the context of the subject of this presentation.
Confidentiality: All information gathered as part of this web cast activity will be treated as confidential and will not be disclosed or released in any format to any other person or business that does not have a "need to know" as it relates specifically to this activity without the full and proper consent of the viewer/provider of this information.